How Dermal Fillers Work
Injectables provide a non-surgical solution to smooth wrinkles and add volume to the face, making them a popular option for rejuvenating the appearance.
When considering dermal fillers, it’s helpful to have an understanding of how they work and what results can be expected. Dr. Peter Brownrigg explains how dermal fillers work during consultations at his Ottawa, ON, based practice. For answers to your questions, we welcome you to schedule a consultation.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are injectable solutions that smooth out lines and wrinkles, add volume to the face, or plump the lips.
Dermal fillers are injected under the skin to target such areas as the nasolabial folds and creases in the forehead, making it possible to rejuvenate the appearance without undergoing surgery.
How Do Dermal Fillers Work?
How dermal fillers work to diminish wrinkles and rejuvenate the skin depends on the type of dermal filler used. With this in mind, let’s take a look at how the dermal fillers used in our Ottawa practice work:
- Restylane® and JUVÉDERM®: Both Restylane and JUVÉDERM contain hyaluronic acid to plump the skin. Hyaluronic acid naturally occurs in the skin and when used in dermal fillers, plumps the skin by attracting water.
- Sculptra® Aesthetic: Sculptra® Aesthetic rejuvenates the skin by encouraging collagen production. Sculptra utilizes a material called poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA) to stimulate the skin to create its own collagen.
- RADIESSE®: Like Sculptra, RADIESSE stimulates collagen production to add volume to the skin and diminish the appearance of wrinkles. However, RADIESSE works slightly differently. RADIESSE uses gel microspheres called calcium hydroxyapatite (CaHa). The CaHA gel microspheres instantly add volume. As they gradually dissolve, new collagen will be left behind, helping to prolong results.
How Long Do Dermal Fillers Last?
Dermal fillers provide rejuvenating results for six to 12 months. Personal results can vary depending on the area treated along with the type and amount of filler used.
Most dermal fillers provide immediate results, instantly smooth lines and plumping the skin. The exception is Sculptra Aesthetic, as it works by stimulating the skin to produce its own collagen and can take three months to take effect.
What Issues Do Dermal Fillers Work On?
Dermal fillers work well on a number of issues including:
- Nasolabial folds: The nasolabial folds are the lines that run from the nose to the side of the mouth. Dermal fillers can smooth these lines and create a more youthful appearance.
- Under eye hollows: Age can lead to hollows forming under the eyes. Dermal fillers can be used to improve the appearance of hollows under the eyes.
- Cheeks: The cheeks lose volume with age, sometimes taking on a sunken look. Dermal fillers can restore lost volume and make the cheeks look more youthful.
- Forehead creases: Creases in the forehead and between the eyebrows can be smoothed with dermal fillers.
- Lips: Dermal fillers can also be used to make the lips fuller and more voluptuous.
Find Out if Dermal Fillers Are Right for You
For more information about dermal fillers or to find out if they’re right for you, please call our Ottawa office at (613) 724-1214 to schedule a consultation.