Eyelid Surgery Statistics
Aging is unavoidable, but people can take steps to minimize the effects that aging has on their appearance. Millions of Americans rely on makeup, moisturizers, cosmetic treatments, or plastic surgery to combat the signs of aging.
One of the most common problem areas is the skin around the eyes. This delicate area tends to show the signs of aging earlier than the rest of the face and body. This is why eyelid surgery is such a popular cosmetic treatment.
Eyelid surgery tightens the skin along the upper and lower lids to minimize the appearance of wrinkles, undereye bags, and overhanging upper lids. As a result, patients achieve a more alert and youthful appearance.
Here, Dr. Peter Brownrigg presents the most recent eyelid surgery statistics to show our Ottawa, ON patients how popular this procedure is.
How Many People Undergo Eyelid Surgery?
Eyelid surgery continually ranks among the top five most popular plastic surgery procedures. According to data most recently presented by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, eyelid surgery was the fourth most performed cosmetic surgery procedure in 2017.
In 2017, surgeons performed 209,500 eyelid surgery procedures, which was similar to the number of eyelid surgery procedures performed in 2016.
Breast augmentation, liposuction, and nose reshaping were the three most popular plastic surgery procedures.
Who Is the Typical Eyelid Surgery Patient?
Men and women can undergo eyelid surgery, and the procedure can also be performed at just about any age since the signs of aging tend to develop at different rates for different people.
Here, we break down eyelid surgery statistics by gender and age:
- 85 percent of eyelid surgery patients were women and 15 percent were men. However, it is important to note that male patients accounted for just 8 percent of total cosmetic procedures performed in the year; eyelid surgery is actually the second most popular plastic surgery procedure for men (the first is nose reshaping).
- Only 3 percent of eyelid surgery patients were 29 or younger
- 6 percent of eyelid surgery patients were between the ages of 30 to 39
- The overwhelming majority of eyelid surgery patients were either between the ages of 40 and 54 (42 percent) or aged 55 and older (49 percent).
- Based on collected data, eyelid surgery is the second most popular cosmetic surgery among patients aged 40 to 54 (behind liposuction), and the most popular among patients aged 55 and older.
Perhaps one of the most important factors for a patient considering eyelid surgery is how often surgery is a success. In terms of patient satisfaction rates, success is defined as a patient reporting that he or she is happy with the surgical results and would do the surgery again.
Based on a survey of U.S. patient satisfaction, as of 2017, 93 percent of eyelid surgery patients were happy with their surgical results, making it one of the most successful cosmetic surgery procedures.
If you have loose, wrinkled skin along the upper or lower eyelids, you may be an ideal candidate for eyelid surgery. To learn more about this procedure, contact us at your earliest convenience. You can call to set up a personal consultation with Dr. Peter Brownrigg.