Rhinoplasty Recovery Tips
When patients come to Ottawa plastic surgeon Peter Brownrigg with complaints about the appearance of their nose, rhinoplasty is the solution. Dr. Brownrigg can completely reshape a patient’s nose through the rhinoplasty procedure. Depending on a patient’s desires, Dr. Brownrigg can make alterations to the nostrils, reshape the bone or cartilage, and even insert small implants to give a patient a nose that fits proportionately with their other facial features. For our patients in Ottawa, rhinoplasty surgery can significantly enhance a patient’s appearance without dramatically altering their appearance.
Some people may have the impression that because rhinoplasty is a cosmetic surgery, the recovery will only last a couple of days. This is not the case. As with any other surgical procedure, rhinoplasty will require a few weeks of recovery time. The recovery is a vital part of the rhinoplasty procedure. Dr. Brownrigg will give patients instructions to follow during their recovery phase. These instructions should be carefully followed to make your recovery as comfortable as possible and ensure that your nose heals fully. Some tips that can ensure a smooth recovery include the following:
- Your nose will be tender to the touch for up to six weeks after surgery. To avoid discomfort, refrain from blowing your nose for at least two weeks after surgery. You should also avoid wearing glasses for up to four weeks following surgery. If you are unable to wear contact lenses, we recommend wearing your splint and resting the weight of your glasses on that.
- Wear clothes that button in the front. If you can avoid pulling clothing over your head you can avoid accidentally bumping your nose or causing unnecessary discomfort.
- Be careful of overly stretching your mouth by excessively laughing, smiling, chewing or brushing your teeth too vigorously. The upper lip is closely connected to the nose so any excess movement of the mouth can cause unwanted stretching or pain in the nose.
- You should avoid use of make-up, sunscreen, and lotion for at least a week after surgery. As a result, you will want to limit your exposure to the sun until it is safe to use sunscreen again.
- Cease smoking for at least three weeks after surgery (you will actually need to stop smoking for the three weeks leading up to surgery as well).
- Avoid heavy exercise for at least four weeks. Swimming should be avoided for at least three weeks after surgery, as the chemicals can aggravate the nose and the chlorine can get into your nose and cause a burning sensation. Any sport that is aggressive and can cause injury to the nose should be avoided for six weeks.
If you follow these tips, you should experience only a moderate amount of discomfort that can be easily managed through your prescribed pain medication. Following these steps will also help you avoid injury or stress to your nose during this vital recovery period.
Schedule an Appointment
Are you unhappy with your nose? If you’ve always wondered what can be done to improve the appearance of your nose, schedule an appointment with Dr. Peter Browrigg to learn more about rhinoplasty surgery. Achieving the nose of your dreams may be easier than you think.